Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Where is the Target?

Ryan and I have been in Novorossiysk for 4 days.  I believe we are adjusting well.  Our apartment is nice (I will post pictures in the near future) and it seems like it will be plenty big for the two of us.  Macy is also enjoying running throughout, but she has yet to figure out the extra slippery floors.  :)

I have spent a good amount of time searching for random items for the apartment.  One particular item, a kitchen trash can has proven its self quite difficult to locate.  I really wish we had a Target, then I would be able to choose from a large assortment.  I was able to locate trash cans at the market today, but they were good sizes for the bathroom.  I had a lovely conversation with the woman, that resulted in her laughing that I wanted such a big trash can.  I have decided that if they sell large trash bags, then there must be large trash cans to hold them.  I will keep you posted.

I am really struggling with the wait for our shipment.  It is very difficult to be in an apartment and have a great desire to settle in, but you do not have any of your belongings yet.  I am very thankful the apartments are furnished with plenty of furniture and that we brought a few bedding, towels, spice items with us during our pre assignment trip in January, but currently, we are living off of what we could stuff in our suitcases.  Once I get a project established in my head (organizing and setting up the apartment) I have to finish it.  Unfortunately I am not able to finish the project and I must wait.  Therefore, I have resorted to rearranging furniture multiple times a day.  Ryan has stopped asking why, and just lets me do it.

On a random note, Ryan and I were out for a walk with Macy Sunday and passed an old woman sitting on a bench that began talking and making noises at Macy.  She seemed like a very nice lady, Macy had her doubts, but Macy has not warmed up to the new people yet.  The woman then proceeded to pull out a book she was sitting on.  It was a dog and puppy book.  She insisted that we take it.  We thought it was the most random thing for a lady to be sitting on, but we graciously accepted the gift.  I guess Macy was the chosen dog for the day (there were many out for walks Sunday) and the lady gave us the book.  I have decided, since it is written in Russian, to translate the book in order to practice my Russian.



Speaking of practicing my Russian.  I believe things are going fairly well.  I will admit I do not talk as much as I would in the States ( shocking, I know) but when I do speak, I feel like I am getting somewhere.  I resort to a lot of pointing while I speak, but none the less I am "communicating."  Our current driver, Alexander, knows a decent amount of English.  While he was driving me around today he explained a few words and helped me with some pronunciation.

All in all, things seem to be falling into place here in our new home.  I think this is going to be an unbelievable experience for us, and I am very optimistic that there are many more good things to come.  Now, if only I could get a Target built and stocked. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment